Oyster Bay High School Driver Education Program
Summer 2022 Course Information
** an email blast will be sent out to current 10th and 11th grade families with information regarding Summer 2022 registration**
Registration for the Summer 2022 Driver Ed course will begin on May 16th and close on June 10th. The first class is on July 6th, 2022.
1. Lecture classes are offered virtually. Links will be shared after the registration period is completed.
2. There is a cap of 25 for each section.
3. Priority placement will be afforded to students enrolled at Oyster Bay High School.
4. This course will run the in-car portion under parent supervision. Curriculum guidance for parents on how to conduct the driving lessons will be posted prior to the start of the course. In the meantime, note that you will need to have copies emailed to EMDRVSCH@Optonline.net of the following:
- A valid NYS Driver’s License(s) for any parent/guardian that will instruct the student.
- A current proof of auto insurance for the vehicle(s) being used for instruction.
- Proof of current DMV inspection(s).
- A signed waiver from the parent/guardian who will be instructing the student.
Any questions please call us at
624-6552Program Coordinator: Ms. Rachel Green, Supervisor of World Languages and ENL
phone: (516)-624-6552DRIVING SCHOOL CONTACT INFORMATION:
East Meadow Driving School
2900 Hempstead Turnpike
Levittown, NY 11756
(516) 735-0217ABOUT THE COURSE:
A complete professionally taught Driver Education Course that will provide students with a comprehensive introduction to the driving experience. These experiences will include “rules of the road,” traffic safety concerns, defensive driving, proper handling of a vehicle, driving in traffic, and problems of substance abuse as related to driving. Students must complete 24 hours of in-car instruction (6 hours behind the wheel/18 hours of observation) and 24 hours of classroom training and receive a passing grade of 65 or higher in each category. This course is not intended to bring a new driver to higher levels of driving performance without adequate practice time outside course hours. Furthermore, the course is not designed to spend more time than is required to cover the basic elements of the NY State road test.
WHAT THE COURSE OFFERS:
Students will receive an MV-285 (Course Completion Certificate) from the district three to four weeks after the completion of the entire course.* This provides an insurance reduction to students who qualify; and a driver’s license Class D at age 17 upon successfully passing the NY State road test & submitting their MV-285 to DMV.
*Note- Students are not able to sign up for the road test until they have their certificate number.ELIGIBILITY:
Students must be 16 by the first day of the program. Students must also acquire a NY State Learner’s Permit (MV-100) before they register. “If enrollment exceeds the maximum number of allowable participants (33), preference will be sorted by birth date (oldest to youngest).” After the deadline, preference will be sorted by the order in which the registration forms were handed into the health office.COST:
The cost for the course is $350.00. All applications must include a check made out to the Oyster Bay-East Norwich Central School District. There will be a $27 fee for all returned checks.