Second Grade mathematics is about (1) extending understanding of base-ten notation; (2) building fluency with addition and subtraction; (3) using standard units of measure; and (4) describing and analyzing shapes. Major emphasis in Second Grade is placed on:
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
- Add and subtract within 20.
- Work with equal groups of objects to gain foundations for multiplication.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
- Understand place value.
- Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract.
Measurement and Data
- Measure and estimate lengths in standard units.
- Relate addition and subtraction to length.