Oyster Bay High School Driver Education Program
Scroll down for general information about upcoming semesters.
Spring 2021 Course information:
We are now accepting registration forms for the spring 2021 Driver Education program.
Documents (click each title to view):
- Spring 2021 Registration
- Monday Morning Lecture Schedule: 6AM- 7:30AM
- Tuesday Evening Lecture Schedule: 7PM- 8:30PM
1. Lecture classes are offered virtually. Links will be shared after the registration period is completed.
2. You may pick your preferred lecture day and time, however there is a cap at 25 for each section.
3. Priority placement will be afforded to students enrolled at Oyster Bay High School.
4. This course will run the in-car portion under parent supervision. Curriclum guidance for parents on how to cunduct the driving lessons will be posted prior to the start of the course. In the meantime, note that you will need to have copies of the following:
- A valid NYS Driver’s License(s) for any parent/guardian that will instruct the student.
- A current proof of auto insurance for the vehicle(s) being used for instruction.
- Proof of current DMV inspection(s).
- A signed waiver from the parent/guardian that will be instructing the student.
This course typically starts after July 4th and has run weekdays through the months of July & August.
More information will be posted as we enter June.
Any questions please call us at
624-6558Program Coordinator: Mr. Kevin Trentowski (Director for P.E. and Health)
phone: (516)-624-6540DRIVING SCHOOL CONTACT INFORMATION:
East Meadow Driving School
2900 Hempstead Turnpike
Levittown, NY 11756
(516) 735-0217ABOUT THE COURSE:
A complete, professionally taught Driver Education Course that will provide students with a comprehensive introduction to the driving experience. These experiences will include “rules of the road,” traffic safety concerns, defensive driving, proper handling of a vehicle, driving in traffic, and problems of substance abuse as related to driving. Students must complete 24 hours of in-car instruction (6 hours behind the wheel/18 hours of observation) and 24 hours of classroom training and receive a passing grade of 65 or higher in each category. This course is not intended to bring a new driver to higher levels of driving performance without adequate practice time outside course hours. Furthermore, the course is not designed to spend more time than is required to cover the basic elements of the NY State road test.
WHAT THE COURSE OFFERS:
Students will receive an MV-285 (Course Completion Certificate) from the district three to four weeks after the completion of the entire course.* This provides an insurance reduction to students who qualify; and a driver’s license Class D at age 17 upon successfully passing the NY State road test & submitting their MV-285 to DMV.
*Note- Students are not able to sign up for the road test until they have their certificate number.ELIGIBILITY:
Students must be 16 by the first day of the program. Students must also acquire a NY State Learner’s Permit (MV-100) before they register. “If enrollment exceeds the maximum number of allowable participants (33), preference will be sorted by birth date (oldest to youngest).” After the deadline, preference will be sorted by the order in which the registration forms were handed into the health office.COST:
The cost for the course is $520.00. All applications must include a check made out to the Oyster Bay-East Norwich Central School District. There will be a $27 fee for all returned checks.