Courtney Kowalsky is the Nassau County Champion
The quality of players was very high at the Nassau County Badminton Championship. All the matches were intense. The semi’s and finals had so much tension in the air, it could be cut with a knife.
Oyster Bay High School Senior Courtney Kowalsky played really tough. She battled and won the first set 21-18. She was up in the 2nd set 10-8 when she lost 6 straight points and went down to 14-10. She battled back trading points to an eventual 21-18 win. The 2-time champ from Jericho High School, seemed genuinely shocked. Courtney had lost to the girl from Jericho in the semis and in the finals in 2015 and 2016.
Courtney Kowalsky is this year’s Nassau County Champion in Badminton. What a wonderful way to end a stellar high school athletic career.
Earlier this year, Courtney was named Girls’ Tennis All-County and New York All-State. She was also selected for the Section 8 Sportsmanship Award.
The Varsity Girls Tennis Team and the Varsity Badminton Team are both coached by Mr. Greg Bilello. Coach Greg Bilello had this to say about Courtney:
“Courtney Kowalsky competed in the Section 8 Singles County Tournament at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow. She was the 2-seed in the tournament and to nobody’s surprise made it to the county finals. She faced her friend Merri Kelly (MK) Hannity from Cold Spring Harbor. Courtney lost the first set 6-4 but battled back to take the second set 6-1. It came down to the deciding third set where MK Hannity prevailed 6-4 to win the Nassau County Championship. Although finishing second, Courtney qualified for the NYSPHAA Championships two weeks later.
Courtney received the four seed at the State Tournament which earned her a first round by. After waiting to play she easily defeated Emily Stanley from Victor in 2 sets 6-4/6-4. On Sunday she faced a tough nationally ranked player Nathalie Rodilosso who was the 6-seed. She defeated her in 2 sets 6-2/6-3. This gained her the semi-finals where she lost to the 2-seed Julia Andreach 6-4/6-1. On Monday, Courtney played a rematch with MK Hannity for 3rd place in New York State. She defeated MK Hannity in her final match for Oyster Bay High School 6-2/6-1 to earn 3rd place in NYS singles.
Courtney Kowalsky’s accomplishments are many in her time at OBHS. She was a two-time Nassau County Doubles Champion and a two-time New York State Doubles Champion with a 16-0 record in County and State doubles competition. This year she was second in Nassau County singles and third in New York State with a 66-4 record in season, county, and state singles competition.”
Courtney was the team captain who worked with teammates of all levels. She is excited about heading to Brown University in the fall and continuing her tennis career and plans to study Pre-Med.
Here are the list of accolades Courtney has amassed while at Oyster Bay High School.
- Most awarded Newsday’s “Oyster Bay High School’s” All Long Island Athlete of all time (boy or girl from 1962)
- Among the top most awarded Newsday’s All Long Island Athlete including all schools on Long Island. (boy or girl from 1962, tied with 22 others)
- 2014 All Long Island Tennis “first team”
- 2015 All Long Island Tennis “first team”
- 2015 All Long Island Tennis “Player of the Year”
- 2016 All Long Island Tennis “first team”
- 2016 All long Island Badminton “first team”
Varsity Badminton 2014-2017 (Spring sport) (Coach Greg Bilello)
Total HS career 2012-2017 won-loss 70-4.
Badminton Season and County Championships Results
- Champion 2017
- Finalist 2015
- Semi-Finalist 2016 lost to eventual winner
- Quarter Finalist 2014
- 4 MVP awards 2014-2017
- 4 All County awards 2013-2017
- 2015, 2016, 2017 regular seasons undefeated
- 2017 season went 18-0 without ever losing a set in both regular season County Championship Tournament
- Team Captain 4 years
- All Conference 4 years
- Team Conference 4 Champions 2013
- Scholar Athlete all 4 years
Varsity Tennis 2010-2016 (Fall Sport) (Coach Fred Sperber 2010-2012 and Coach Greg Bilello 2013-2016)
Total HS record Singles won-loss 76-6, singles, 17-0 Doubles ( 40-3 (10th -12th) + 36-3 (7th-9th))
Tennis Season and County Championships Results
- State Doubles Champion 2015
- State Doubles Champion 2014
- County Doubles Champion 2014
- County Doubles Champion 2015
- 3rd Place in the State Singles Championship 2016
- County Champion Finalist 2016
- Team conference champions 2012-13
- 5 MVP awards
- 6 All County awards
- 4 All state awards
- 6-year All Conference
- Went 5 regular seasons Undefeated.
- Captain 5 seasons
- Scholar Athlete all 6 years
- Ranked as high as 91 in the Nation in tennis recruiting.