National Junior Honor Society
Advisor: Ms. Ashleigh Pryor
Grade Levels: 7-9
Meeting Times: Every first Monday of each month 3:15 pm via Zoom
Oyster Bay High School congratulates its newest members of National Junior Honor Society. Watch the induction ceremony here: National Junior Honor Society Induction Ceremony.
Description: NJHS is a national organization which recognizes excellence in the middle level school student. Students must have an 87.5 average to receive invitation and forms. Students must show excellence in academics, citizenship, service, leadership and character to be selected. Members must attend monthly meetings, participate in the service project and the induction ceremony.
- Candidates must be in seventh, eighth or ninth grade (second semester seventh graders are eligible). Candidates must have been in attendance at the school the equivalent of at least one semester.
- Candidates must have a cumulative scholastic average of at least 87.5%.
- Candidates will be evaluated on the pillars of Leadership, Citizenship, Character & Service. (see below).
- Students not accepted in seventh grade may re-apply in both eighth and ninth grade as long as grade requirements are maintained.
- The Leadership criterion is considered highly important for membership selection. Leadership may be interpreted in terms of the number of offices a student has held in school or community organizations, although leadership also exists outside elected positions, including effective participation in other co-curricular activities offered on or off campus. One to four leadership positions are recommended. Supervisor name/phone number required.
Students who demonstrate citizenship understands the importance of civic involvement, and has a high regard for freedom, justice, and respect of the American form of government (representative democracy). Students demonstrate mature participation and responsibility through involvement in such activities as scouting, community organizations and school clubs. Several activities in school and in the community are recommended. Supervisor name/phone number required.
- Character is probably the most difficult criterion to define. Both positive and negative aspects of character are considered. Faculty members will be asked to evaluate students’ character in class.
- Service is generally considered to be those actions undertaken by the student, which are done with or on behalf of others without any direct financial or material compensation to the individual performing the service. In considering service, the contributions this candidate has made to the school, classmates and community as well as the student’s attitude toward service can be reviewed. There is no set amount of hours, but proof of hours must be provided (signed letter, certificate, etc.).
- The selection of each member of the chapter shall be by a majority vote of the NJHS Selection Committee. The committee shall consist of faculty members. All five criteria will be considered in the selection process, though the committee determines the weight that any individual criterion receives. The committee will consider supporting documentation, including the activity form/application, in the selection process.
Application Availability: NJHS Application Packet
Application Deadline: Monday, March 15, 2021
Induction Ceremony: Thursday, April 29, 2021