OBEN Spring Concert Series Shine on Stage
Continued from cover
At the elementary level, James H. Vernon School choruses and bands lit up the stage with performances conducted by band teachers Mr. Joe Devassy and Ms. Lauren Macy and chorus teacher Mr. Louis Costidis. Choral performances were accompanied by Mrs. Elinor Zayas on piano and Mr. Vincent Muscarella on guitar. Donning black masks under a red-lit stage the Intermediate Band performed The Incredibles, while the Advanced Band entertained the audience with Highlights from The Wizard of Oz. The 5th and 6th Grade Chorus featured songs such as Take the “A” Train and Chariot’s Comin’! (Swing Low, Sweet, Chariot).
On a separate night, the Beginner Band took the stage under the baton of Ms. Lauren Macy, followed by the 3rd Grade Chorus and the 4th Grade Chorus, conducted by Mr. Louis Costidis, which showcased keyboard accompaniments he arranged. For the finale, both choruses came together to sing the Vernon School song.
At Theodore Roosevelt School, the kindergarten and 1st grade classes sang a selection of songs, while each 2nd grade class performed a song with percussion instruments as part of the Orff learning approach. The method of teaching music engages students through a combination of singing, dancing, acting and the use of percussion instruments. Always a highlight, each class came together to sing the school song, The School by the Bay.
Mr. Anthony Femino, Fine and Performing Arts Supervisor, thanked the Board of Education, the District’s music staff and support staff, the custodial staff, the Theater Arts Club and the Friends of the Performing Arts Center (PAC) for making the spring concerts a success. See more musical highlights below:
- Over 170 students performed piano, instrumental, and/or vocal solos at various NYSSMA festivals.
- Chamber Singers earned 2nd place in their category and Espirit de Corps award at Music in the Parks for the 3rd year in a row.
- Wind Ensemble received Silver rating at this year’s NYSSMA Majors.
- 7/8 Band received Gold rating at this year’s NYSSMA Majors.
- 1 student performed at the NYSSMA All-State Conference.
- 28 students participated in All County Music ensembles.
- Wind Ensemble performed with other Long Island school bands under the baton of composer, Mr.Omar Thomas.
- Over 125 students participated in this year’s Vernon musical, Shrek, Jr.
- Members of the OBHS Concert Choir performed the Star Spangled Banner at a Ducks Game on June 11.
- 2nd graders demonstrated what they have learned with Music in the Brain at their piano recital.
OBHS Middle Level Concerts
OBHS Concerts Grades 9-12
TR First Grade
TR Second Grade